Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Ten New to Me Authors for 2013

I saw a post like this on Once Upon a Twilight and it looked interesting enough that I decided to due one for myself.

1. Shelly Adina - I got the first book in the series, Lady of Devices: A steampunk adventure novel (Magnificent Devices Book 1), as a free kindle (it is still free), and I really liked the book. It isn't too long, 258 pages. It is steampunk, but more of a lite steampunk, so if you aren't sure if you would like the steampunk genre I think it is a good first steampunk book. I enjoyed the book so much that I bought the next three books, Her Own Devices, Magnificent Devices, and Brilliant Devices. There is a fifth book out, A Lady of Resources which is set in later years and deals with twins Lizzie and Maggie. I haven't bought it yet, but it is on my "to read" list.

2. Thomas K. Carpenter - Gamers was originally a free kindle too, but the price has gone to $3.99 right now. What if your whole life was just one big MMO, for everything you did all day you made points, some actions are worth more points than others and you need so many points to survive high school. It was a fun read, if you don't game there are some words that might need to be looked up. There are two other books in the series, Frags, and Coders (Gamers Book 3), I haven't read them let, they are however on my growing "to read" list.

3. Soman Chainani - The School for Good and Evil was such a great book! I really didn't want this book to end, the descriptions were fantastic and the characters were engaging. The second book in the series comes out in April next year, The School for Good and Evil 2: A World without Princes and of course it is on my "to read" list.

4. Janet Evanovich - Evanovich has been writing the Stephanie Plum series since 1994, but I only just started reading it with One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, No. 1): A Stephanie Plum Novel this month. The library was out of Two for the Dough when I went to go get it, which means I have to wait to read the next book! (*whine*) Anyway, I found the book to be highly entertaining, partly because the husband used to be a bounty hunter, but mostly from the humor of the main character Stephanie Plum.

5. Chandra Hahn - I read UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale Book 1) with my book club, it is a free kindle, it is another retelling of the Grimm's fairy tales that are really popular right now. There is a bit of a racist part, the Chinese neighbors' accents are unnecessary and do not add anything to the story. I did buy the next book in the series, Fairest, but I haven't read it yet.

6. Kate Locke - I read God Save the Queen (The Immortal Empire Book 1) earlier in the year. It was a really entertaining book. It is set in modern times, the story starts in 2012, when the first book came out, but is an alternate history. Queen Victoria never died and the world is full of vampires, who set the world's fashion, werewolves, halfies (half vampires), and goblins. I downloaded the second book, The Queen Is Dead, but haven't been able to read it yet, and the third book, Long Live the Queen is already out.

7. Daniel O'Malley - In the beginning The Rook: A Novel starts off like a typical James Bond style spy book, but it quickly changes over to something from the X-Men. I do hope the author plans on writing another book, either with the same characters or something new. (ETA: Here is his second book, Stiletto: A Novel (The Rook Files).)

8. James Patterson - I haven't read anything by Patterson before. Sure, I saw his books in the mystery, crime and young adult sections, and I had been intrigued by descriptions of the books, but I have always found it hard to figure out which books came in what order in his books. I found one stand alone book of his, Toys, it does just kind of jump into the middle of the plot without any back-story which can be a bit disconcerting. I also read a new series by him, only 'cause I knew it was the first book in the series, called Confessions of a Murder Suspect which I highly enjoyed, more than Toys, and I hope to be able to read the next book, Confessions: The Private School Murders, in the series soon.

9. Liz Schulte - I got Easy Bake Coven as a free kindle. There's no baking in the story and it is more about elves than about witches, but it is a quick, easy and light-hearted read. If you need some thing mindless to read from the romance comedy genre I would recommend this book. The second book, Hungry, Hungry Hoodoo and the third book, Pickup Styx are both on my "to read" list.

10. Stephen Sweeney - I just finished reading The Honour of the Knights (Second Edition) (Battle for the Solar System, 1), the best way that I can explain it is as David Weber's Honor Harrington series, but less technical. There are two other books in the trilogy so far, The Third Side, and The Attribute of the Strong.

As you can probably tell me "to read" list is fairly long.


Swagbucks it is how I make money for amazon gift cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...