Sunday, February 2, 2014

Books I read in January


The Honour of the Knights (Second Edition) (Battle for the Solar System, 1) by Stephen J. Sweeny
I would describe this as kind of like David Weber'sOn Basilisk Station Honor Harrington series. (On Basilik Station is free by the way.) Only Honour of the Knights has less politics and history going on, at least in the first book.


City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments) by Cassandra Clare
I continued with rereading this series. I had forgotten a lot of the details of the story, but I did remember the basic plot.


Wicked Appetite (Lizzy and Diesel) by Janet Evanovich
Since I still haven't been able to find Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, No. 2) at the library, or at the local bookstore, I may have to wait to finish that book series until I can buy it on kindle, or go to a different library. The library did have the first two books in this series, so I thought I would try it. It is a bit jumpy in spots and none of characters are ever amazed at the magic that happens. I think that even people who lived in Salem, Mass. would be surprised that magic actually existed.


City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments) by Cassandra Clare
The library doesn't have the fifth book, so this is the end of rereading this series for me. It has been fun to reread, but on to other stories.


Wicked Business (Lizzy & Diesel Book 2) by Janet Evanovich
So... I just finished the second book in this series and I don't know... I won't be buying the books, but if they were at the library I might check them out. It is just... this series has some problematic words and phrases. They biggest one I remember is "slut makeup." The main character, Lizzy, is describing what she is putting on for a night out with her friends, and she says that she puts on "slut makeup." Why couldn't she just say that she was putting on makeup, why does it have to be "slut makeup?" What is "slut makeup?" There were other things too, not so many in the first book, but this second book had me a bit disappointed.


Chocolate Box Girls: Cherry Crush by Cathy Cassidy
I got this book from the library, I thought it might be something that Jasmine would enjoy having read to her. But it is a pre-teen/young adult book. Originally I was delighted when I found out that the main character, Cherry, is biracial, half Japanese and half white, because maybe Jasmine would enjoy the book when she was older. Unfortunately there is some cultral appropriation that happens fairly early in the book when the soon to be step-mom, Charlotte, places chopsticks in her hair, because she doesn't know how to use them. Asians don't put chopsticks in their hair, there are hair pins that might look similar, but they aren't the same thing. There really was no point for this character to be part Japanese, besides for othering and exotification purposes. Too bad, could have been a good story. Overall disappointed.


Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School Series Book 2) by Gail Carriger
From the authoress of the The Parasol Protectorate series, here is Curtsies & Conspiracies the second book in the Finishing School series. I really enjoyed this book, as I have of the other books by Ms. Carriger that I have read, there are a few short stories by her that I have not read yet.


City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments) by Cassandra Clare
Oh, managed to snag this from the library. I thought that I had read this book before, but if I have I have forgotten a lot of it. I guess it is just as well that I am rereading it, the last book in the series comes out in May.


Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale by Carolyn Turgeon
I got this book from the library, but I was turned off in the first chapter when Lenia, the mermaid, not only describes her naked breasts, but also her nipples. I got about half way through the book, but I gave it up.


I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies Book 1) by Pittacus Lore
I watched the movie, which was honestly quite horrible, I figured I'd give the book a try.

Books read to date:.... 9 1/2

Currently watching: 별에서 온 그대 (My love from the star)

Currently reading:

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies Book 1) by Pittacus Lore


Swagbucks it is how I make money for amazon gift cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...