Saturday, December 21, 2013

Top Five Modern Non-Animated Fantasy Movies

Modern as from 2000 to present, non-animated as in not completely CGI or traditional animation/claymation, and top five because they are favorites of mine.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001): Yes, Daniel Radcliff's acting maybe very stilted in this movie, but he does improve in the later movies, but it is the first one. The locations and settings, clothing and even all the little nick-knacks in the shops were fantastic. When you first see Diagon Alley it really is amazing.

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2002-2004): This maybe broken up into three parts, but really it is just one long nine hour movie, but it is great. The sceneries are stunning, the costume work is awesome, the metal work on the armor, weapons and jewelry is great. I would also include The Hobbit in with this.

Stardust (2007): This is definitely as story that I would consider calling a modern fairy tale (the book was great too!)

Sucker Punch (2011): I love this movie. I count it as fantasy since it really is a dream within a dream within a dream.

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010): I haven't seen the new one yet, so it might be better than this one. I would have to say that there was a lot cut out or changed from the book, so it wasn't as good as it could have been, but it was enjoyable enough that I could watch it again.

Bonus:
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (Includes Bonus Features)(2003): This one doesn't quite qualify, because whenever the pirates are in the moonlight they are CGI, yes, the others have special effects too, but a lot of the characters spend a signficant amount of time as CGI characters. Anyway, love the movie, the characters were great.

This list was harder to make that I thought it should have been. I read over other people's lists and there were a lot that I would consider science-fiction and not fantasy.

Currently watching: My Love from the Star

Currently reading:
The Honour of the Knights (Second Edition) (Battle for the Solar System, 1) by Stephen J. Sweeny
Good story so far. A bit like David Weber's writing.


Swagbucks it is how I make money for amazon gift cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...