Thursday, July 11, 2013

Convention goers beware

I've attended a fair number of Renaissance Faires and conventions in my life. When I was in my teens and in my twenties I went with friends or with co-workers. Now in my thirties I attend with my husband. Jasmine attended her first convention this last May at Nova Albion. I don't know if she will want to attend Faires or conventions when she gets older, but I would like to think that we, as her parents, will have taught her how to take care of herself if she chooses to attend a faire or convention alone.

I think I myself have either been very lucky or very obtuse, I don't think anyone has ever tried to harass me, but that doesn't mean that someone won't try in the future.

If you are ever harassed at a convention (this post deals specifically with being harassed at a convention, but I think the advise could be applied and used at a Ren Fair too,) Jim C. Hines has made a great post on who and how to report the harassment. Reporting Sexual Harassment in SF/F, 2013 Edition.

I know in an ideal world people wouldn't attend faires or conventions alone, but that isn't always possible, especially if someone needs to go in order to make business connections. I have no idea where I was going with this I seem to have lost my train of thought, but I guess what I mean to say is be aware of your surroundings, even if you yourself aren't being harassed you might spot someone else being harassed and then you can step-in as a witness. And, yes, men can be harassed too.

Swagbucks it is how I make money for amazon gift cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...